Friday, April 24, 2009

F & C: I <3 NY


This poster is so awesome I almost can't handle it. It is designed by David Klein for Trans World Airlines (TWA) and serves as a beckoning call for travelers to come visit New York. The color scheme is vibrant but not overwhelming and creates a fun, welcoming atmosphere about the poster. I'm particulary a big fan of the illustrated typography and abstract shapes. While the design is mostly type dominant, the playful illustrations add a wonderful dynamic. It is balanced mostly toward the upper half of the poster, which is achieved with the volume of words on the top half and also by the direction of the Statue of Liberty's arm pointing up. Although the words are all so different, they are united by a similar typeface, size, and repeating color. This poster says New York is a hip, fun, loving place and would definitely make me sing John Mayer's rendition of "in your atmosphere" in which he repeats: "I don't think I'm going to go to LA anymore."

All in all, I think this poster is very well done and successful. I got me a new city love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment